No-chicken (jackfruit) nuggets
Having two kids I've managed to be creative in the kitchen and try to make eating plants fun and interesting. This recipe uses green jackfruit which is readily available at Asian grocers and even supermarkets these days. It adds a "meaty" texture to dishes while being low in fat and does not promote inflammation in our bodies!
1 can green jackfruit in brine, drained
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 tablespoon white miso paste (gluten free if required)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke*
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup rice crumbs (Gluten free)
½ cup plant-based milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Pulse jackfruit and chickpeas in food processor to coarsely chop. Don’t over process them as you will remove the “meaty” texture.
3. Pour jackfruit and chickpeas into a mixing bowl. Add chickpea flour, miso, garlic, vinegar, herbs, liquid smoke, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
4. Shape mixture into nugget shapes with your hands, about a tablespoon at a time. Dip into plant-based milk and then coat with rice crumbs.
5. Place onto an oven tray and bake for 20 minutes until golden and crunchy.
6. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
* Liquid smoke is available at many gourmet food stores. Alternatively you could use a teaspoon of smoked paprika.